Frequently Asked Questions



What are your hours of operation?

♦  Monday-Friday 9 a.m.-9 p.m.
♦  Saturday 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
♦  Sunday 1-5 p.m.
Upcoming holidays are listed on the events calendar.

Back to top...

Where should I park? 

Parking is available directly behind the library off Sgt Mike King Drive. In addition, there is a large public parking lot to the east across Kingsland Avenue. 

Back to top...

How do I obtain a library card?  

Anyone residing in University City, St. Louis County, St. Louis City, or St. Charles County may obtain a free library card with proper ID. Those under the age of 17 must have parental consent to acquire a library card. Fill out an application online to get started or stop by the library any time.

Residents of the nine districts of the Municipal Library Consortium (MLC)--Brentwood, Ferguson, Kirkwood, Maplewood, Richmond Heights, Rock Hill, University City, Valley Park and Webster Groves--should obtain a card with the library in their municipality, but are welcome to use their home library card at the University City Public Library. Cardholders may use their home library card to borrow materials from any of the MLC libraries.

University City Public Library has reciprocal lending agreements with the following libraries:
• St. Louis Public Library
• St. Louis County Library
• St. Charles City-County
This means that a University City resident is eligible for a free card at any of these districts.

Any person residing outside of these areas may obtain a card for a $30/year per family.

Back to top...

What identification is required for a library card?  

The following are acceptable identification for receiving a library card: driver’s license, residency permit, lease or bill of sale for residence, utility bill, or checkbook. Acceptable identification should include the patron’s name and address. Photo identification is required.

Back to top...

Can a University City Public Library card be used at other libraries?  

Your library card may be used at the libraries of the Municipal Library Consortium: Brentwood Public Library, Ferguson Municipal Library, Kirkwood Public Library, Maplewood Public Library, Richmond Heights Memorial Library, Rock Hill Public Library, University City Public Library, Webster Groves Public Library and Valley Park Community Library.

Back to top...

How long can I keep items borrowed from University City Public Library?  

DVDs, Books, CDs, Audio Books 3 week, 3 renewals
Magazines (current issues do not circulate) 3 weeks, 3 renewals
Reference Materials do not circulate
Video Games 3 weeks, 3 renewals
Hot Reads 3 weeks, 0 renewals
Hot DVDs 1 week, 0 renewals
Telescopes 1 week, 2 renewals
Video Cameras 3 weeks, 3 renewals

Back to top...

How do I renew the materials that I have checked out?  

If there are no requests on item(s) you have checked out and you still have renewals left on the item(s), they will be renewed automatically 3 days before the due date. To renew items 24/7, log into your library Account on the Catalog. You will need your library card to renew items. You may also renew your items in person or by calling the library at 314-727-3150.

Back to top...

How much are overdue fines and fees for lost/damaged materials?  

University City Public Library does not charge overdue fines on items from the general collection, including books, magazines, DVDs and Blurays, video games, and CDs. Some special collections and equipment may still accrue fines when late. Fines/fees are as follows:
Overdue item No cost once item is returned
Hot item $.20 per day per item up to $5.00
Interlibrary Loan item $.25 per day per item
Lost/Damaged item Cost of the item + $3.00 processing fee
Lost CD/DVD case $3.00
Missing Audiobook CD Our cost to complete item
DVD/CD missing from case Cost of the item + $3.00 processing fee
Collection agency fee $10.00

Back to top...

Does the library send notices to patrons about overdue items?  

Notices are sent to patrons via email, phone, text or mail depending on the requested method and type of notice.  The day after an item is due, it begins to accrue fines.

First Overdue Notice Sent at 7 Days Overdue
Final Overdue Notice Sent at 21 Days Overdue

After 28 days (4 weeks) overdue, an item ages to Lost, at which time the account is billed for the cost of the item plus a $3.00 processing fee. A bill will be generated IF the value of the item exceeds $10.00, and will be mailed or emailed to the patron. If the fees/fines on any account exceed $25.00 dollars for a period 14-16 days, the borrower will be sent to collection, incurring an additional $10.00 fee.

Back to top...

Can I return an item I checked out from one MLC library to another?  

Yes, any MLC library item, as well as any item from St. Louis City Library, St. Louis County Library and St. Charles City/County Library, can be returned to any of the consortium libraries. The item will be returned to its home library through a delivery service.

Back to top...

How do I reserve an item?  

You may request items online using our Catalog.

  1. Use the Search boxes in the middle of the screen to find the item you would like to reserve.
  2. Use the 'Place Request' button on the right of the item description.
  3. Enter your library card number and password (default password is 1234).
  4. Choose where you want to pick the item up and use the "submit request" button.

Or you can call us at 314-727-3150 and we will take care of it for you.

Once the request is made, we will take care of the rest. As soon as the item is available for you to pick up, we will send you an automated notification through your preferred notification method. If an item is not in our catalog, it may be available through interlibrary loan or an info-pass.

Back to top...

What is an Info-Pass?  

An Info-Pass is a one-time "card" to a university, college, special, or high school library in the St. Louis area. The pass is available at the Reference Desk (314-727-3150). Another Info-Pass must be obtained to renew materials or to check out more materials. The patron is personally responsible for returning the materials to the lending library.

Back to top...

Do you have any programs?  

We offer various programs for adults, children and teenagers. Please check the online calendar for further details, or call 314-727-3150.


Back to top...

Can I get Internet access at the library?  

Yes, we have a number of computers available for public use which have Internet access. A Municipal Library Consortium card is required to access the computers. Nonresidents may be issued a guest pass.

The library also provides free WiFi. Stop in and ask for the password at any desk.

Back to top...

Do you have a copy machine or scanner?  

Yes, we have a copier on the main floor near the Reference Desk. Copies are $.10 each for black & white, or $.40 for color.

We also have a Simple Scan station which allows patrons to scan and export documents and images to Google Docs, and email account, USB drive or to even fax documents.

Back to top...

Do you have fax services?  

Yes, the library can fax items at a cost of $1.00 per page. International faxes the cost $3.00 per page. The library cannot receive faxes. 

Back to top...

Can I bring food into the library?  

Food is not allowed in the library. Covered drinks are allowed.  

Back to top...

Do you have tax forms?  

During tax season we have basic Federal tax forms available on a table under the main stairs. We can help you find other forms and instructions by using the IRS website. Visit the Reference Desk or call us at 314-727-3150.

Back to top...

How do I donate items to the library?  

Due to upcoming renovations, the Library is currently unable to accept donated items. We look forward to again taking donated items after renovations are complete.

Back to top...

Can I leave my child at the library?  

Parents are responsible for supervising their children in the use of the library and its materials. The minimum age a child may be left unattended at the library is 12. The library cannot assume the responsibility for children left unattended. The library is not responsible for materials used or borrowed by children that their parents may find objectionable.

Back to top...